Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Re-cap


In case you're just tuning in this would be my "first post" seeing as I had to remove my last post. A long story short, my last post was considered "campaigning too early" when I said that I was running for the UVSS elections! So I had to remove the post and was disqualified! It's an unfortunate scenario, but more bizarre than anything. If you plan on running for the elections be sure to read the entire 20 page manual of do's and don'ts from section A to J plus all the miscellaneous sub headings in between! They have no leniance towards inexperienced first-time nominees apparently! My only thought is that they miss out on a chance to finally include a whole other percentage of campus population for once and not just the same people who run and same people who vote. Oh well! Maybe next time!

As co-president of the varsity council I thought I would also take this opportunity to update you on what's on the go! First and foremost... February athletes of the month:

TEAM of the month: Women's basketball
FEMALE athlete: Kayla Dykstra (Women's Bball)
MALE athlete: Doug Csima (Men's Rowing)

A special shout out to Kayla!! She was just named Canada West MVP and her team mate Vanessa also won a major award so congratulations to both of you on a great season!!

In the works with the Varsity council are the following:
  • "Rubik's Cube Pubcrawl" held mid to end of March (each sport will be dressed as a certain colour from a rubik's cube and by the end of the night you must have talked to someone on the other teams and collected an article of clothing or accessory of each colour!) Tickets will be on sale soon!
  • Athlete and Awards banquet (+Vikes Hall of Fame) April 1st I believe is the date and we will be organizing a get-together afterwards so plan ahead wisely!
  • Graduating players ceremony will be held separate from the banquet so look out for more news regarding that!
That's all for an update on my end! Congrats again to the Men's and Women's basketball teams for a great canada west season, to the Women's soccer team for a good record in Florida over reading break, and to McKenzie Downing and the swim team for a solid performance at Nationals!!!

No comments: